Poker’s on the back burner

The last few days have left me with no desire to fade a 5 or 6 or more hour  stint playing poker.  I think the WBCOOP did a trick on my poker thinking and butt glued to the chair syndrome has been a bit much.  It’s time for a break. 

I took Dan into the bus station in Las Vegas on Monday afternoon and he headed out to Phoenix, that was a ‘trip in-trip out’ kind of thing and I got home late.  The last month with him here was quite productive but not having my home to just me was starting to wear too.  He busted his butt for MOI and it’s more than appreciated.   I wish the very best for him and his girlfriend, she’s going to school, he’s going to look for work…or go back to grinding online, not sure which.

I still have 40 million or so things to do here at the house.  It’s quite livable…no problem there…just things that need tweaked and picked up and a few scrapes and bruises left by previous tenants that need to be patched and taken care of.

On an incredibly great note with a happy ending, I knew I never wanted a turtle to start with – the great turtle rescue – I seriously thought dadparental would take him because Riot wanted him and dadparental has had lizards and a variety of other things as pets before.  But each time I proposed the idea, it was a ‘maybe’ kind of thing.  After changing water almost every day, running filter clean-up, and a few other things, I knew I was done.  I posted on a Pahrump Yahoo board telling the story of how I acquired Big Tony and that he needed a home.  One where the person receiving him knew he was a lot of work and it wasn’t a frivolous undertaking.  I offered to send everything I had purchased with him, stand, filter, etc.  I also approached the subject of an outdoor pond – that would work also.  Within an hour I got a response.  A couple that had three ponds on their property and red eared sliders in their front pond with Koi, and gold fish in their middle pond, and a spare back pond.  Tony would have his own pond – taken care of daily with feeding and a pond heater, etc., but would need all of my equipment to keep him in before he could be acclimated to the pond.  WHEW!  Thank you, God!  Within two hours I drained the remainder of the water in Tony’s tank and his new caretakers were gone with him in 15 minutes.  I can go visit anytime.  I believe I will take Riot one day when he is out for the weekend with me.  It’s so nice to know Tony’s going off to live in turtle nirvana.

I’ll be playing the Sunday Million at PokerStars on February 6th, one of the perks of winning the WBCOOP PLO 8 tournament.  I admit it’s the biggest online tournament I’ve ever played but I figure I can play as badly in it as I do in the $1 entry tournies so WTF!  I may hit a 3 entry Full Tilt Daily Dollar in the next few days, if I get settled into the mood to play again.

Check out this girl…way to go Change100.  What a great way to start the year for her and I hope she just keeps moving on up from here…no matter how you cut it, she’s a winner!

Time to bail.  Laters.

About Linda R. Geenen

The easiest way to begin is to start at the beginning. But where is that? At what point does one suddenly decide they are going to spend the rest of their life involved in the intricate art of the dance? What is the art of the dance? A game about people - played with a deck of cards. Poker! I stepped into the poker world in 1980 in Missoula, Montana. I didn't know anything about poker, couldn't tell you what the difference was between a bet and raise, or if a straight beat a flush. I had three boys to feed, needed a job and a dealing spot was open in one of the local bars. I played my first hand of poker in a 5 Card Stud game (with the help of one of my bosses) and that was it! I was hooked. I lived, breathed, slept, dreamed, ate, and talked poker. I eventually ran my own games (licensed by the County) in several different bars in Missoula, and at one point, managed the games in the bar where I started my first dealing job. In 1987 I traveled from Montana to Nevada to deal major poker tournaments, returning to Montana at the end of each one. In 1989, I opened The Mirage – along with 6,400 other people. In 1993, I moved to Gulfport, Mississippi, and opened Grand Casinos Poker Room, returning a year later to Las Vegas and The Mirage. In 1998 I opened Bellagio - along with over 9,000 other employees. In 2003, I dealt the final table of the Aruba Ultimate Bet Poker Classic event. Hey…I’m on TV! I had the privilege of being chosen as the dealer in the Howard Lederer videos that have been released on No Limit Holdem. I play poker on a regular basis and I deal to every name brand player that is still above ground and breathing air, the elite, the freaks, the ne’er do wells, the rich, the poor, the illiterate, the educated, the beautiful, the ugly, the superstitious, the rational, the sane, and the insane. Perhaps I am the one that is insane but if I am, I fit right into the game plan. Five nights a week I walk into the greatest, social melting pot known to mankind. I no longer dream about it but the art of the dance is prevalent in everything I do - see you there!
This entry was posted in Dear Diary and tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>